As we age, we deal with many age-related conditions that make life harder. One of those conditions is osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a condition caused by mineral deficiency that results in low bone density among those who suffer from it. Additionally, people with osteoporosis have weaker bones which mean that they are more likely to suffer from fractured bones after an injury than a person with average bone density.
Osteoporosis does not affect the elderly only, however. People of any age who have unhealthy lifestyles can also suffer from it. Examples of such individuals are those who smoke, the ones who don’t exercise and the ones whose diets are low in calcium and vitamin D.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
Physical therapists at Absolute Physical Therapy usually check forte following as symptoms of low bone density.
- Weak bones, usually denoted by bones that easily fracture after when you suffer trauma or an injury. The most common fractures in people with low bone density include wrist and ankle fractures
- Back pain in some instances
How to Cope with Osteoporosis with Physical Therapy at Absolute Physical Therapy
A physical therapist in Houston, TX will help you deal with low bone density after you are diagnosed in various ways including:
- Exercise: exercises are an essential part of the effective treatment of osteoporosis. Physical therapists in Houston, TX will take you through a series of exercises meant to build your bone density and muscle tone so that your bones don’t fracture as easily after a trauma. The most commonly used exercises for the successful treatment of low bone density are weight-bearing exercises such as walking and water resistance.
- Helping you develop proper posture to give relief for back pain
- Teaching you to walk with aids to avoid re-injury and reduce pain felt during walks
Contact the physical therapists at Absolute Physical Therapy to start dealing with your osteoporosis today!