Healthy living requires a strategic plan towards activity and nutrition. It requires consistent changes every day to increase your metabolism and fuel your body with the right types of nutrients. Physical therapists at Absolute Physical Therapy in Houston, TX, will help in educating you on how to live with a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some simple ideas to help you live a healthier life:
- Take frequent breaks when sitting for extended periods of time. Avoid staying in one position in front of your computer or television. Change positions at regular intervals, so you’re not sedentary all day.
- Get on your feet and move an hour or two a day to decrease cholesterol levels and reduce blood pressure. Moving around gets your blood flowing and your body working.
- When you’re on the phone, try to walk around while you’re talking.
- Park further away from your destination so that you will be required to walk a little bit more than usual.
- Get a good night’s sleep (at least 7 hours). Your body relies on rest to rejuvenate and heal itself.
- Eat only when you feel hungry or consume small portions every 2-3 hours instead of 3 large meals.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Cut down on smoking and drinking.
- Relax with a routine of yoga and meditation.
Nutrition for Healthy Skin
Diet plays a significant role in helping maintain and improve skin tone. Smooth and healthy skin is a sign of good health. The phrase “you are what you eat” holds true as far as the health of your skin is concerned.
The following food will facilitate healthy skin:
- Antioxidant-rich food. Antioxidants play a key part in the prevention of diseases like heart disease and cancer. Some of the food in this group includes blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, plums, and apples.
- Food is rich in Vitamin-E. Vitamin-E protects against cardiovascular diseases by defending against plaque formation in the arteries. Some of the food that is rich in Vitamin-E include various members of the nut family, including peanuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. Other types of food included are spinach, broccoli, kiwi, mango, and tomatoes.
- Selenium-rich food such as fish, Brazil nuts, liver and sunflower seeds help to keep the skin fresh and looking youthful.
- Food is rich in Beta Carotene. Some of the food that is rich in beta-carotene include hot peppers, kale, carrots, sweet potatoes, and spinach.
Most of this food can easily be found in your local grocery store. There are many ways to introduce them into your diet.
Please remember that all food should be eaten in moderation, and it’s best to combine healthy food with an exercise program for best results.
A physical therapist at Absolute Physical Therapy in Houston, TX, will be able to help you with an exercise program that compliments a healthy nutrition program.
Stress Management with Exercise
Stress is a part of day-to-day life, but the manner in which you handle your stress is a key factor. Stress management is the best way to minimize strain on your cells and live a healthy life.
Stress is a normal psychological and physical reaction to the increasing demands of life. At some point, everyone experiences stress. If you are uncertain about how to handle stress, begin with a positive mindset.
Surround yourself with family and qualified health professionals.
Learn to relax physically and mentally. A massage can help you release muscle tension, and it’s best to ask your physical therapist if a massage is right for you.
In many cases, this can contribute to reducing stress, leaving you relaxed and rejuvenated. A massage is just one component of stress release, and it can be used in addition to full body strengthening and relaxation program.
A physical therapist at Absolute Physical Therapy in Houston, TX, for instance, will provide support, expertise, and design exercise programs (muscle relaxation techniques, for instance) to help you deal with stress.
Call us today for an appointment, and we’ll quickly get you on the road to a healthy and stress-free lifestyle.