Getting older is a natural process that no one can escape. With advancing age come a number of physical problems including worsening vision, reduced muscle mass, joint pains and many others. Of course, while this may not be the case for everyone, it is a relief to know that physical therapists can provide a valuable service to people who are ageing and help them maintain a great quality of life.
This article will cover the benefits of physical therapy at Absolute Physical Therapy and Fitness in Houston, TX and what may be performed to enhance physical health in the ageing population group.
Physical therapy benefits
There are a number of ways that physical therapists from Absolute Physical Therapy and Fitness in Houston, TX can slow down the ageing process. Below is a list of ailments that can affect the ageing population, and how physical therapy can help.
1. Falls – This is a common problem in older patients. This can occur due to a loss in the body’s ability to maintain balance, posture and equilibrium. Physical therapists from Absolute Physical Therapy and Fitness in Houston, TX realize that maintaining balance when walking is a lot more than just providing an aid to walk. It requires good muscle tone, muscle strength, joint movement and inner ear function. They can provide a variety of therapies and exercises that will increase muscle tone and strength.
With falls comes the risk of fractures of the hip or other bones. Physical therapists are experts in providing effects of rehabilitation to these patients and getting them to a state of independence while building their confidence at the same time.
2. Arthritis – This results in joint pains and swelling which can restrict movement. Physical therapists in Absolute Physical Therapy and Fitness in Houston, TX can provide hot and cold treatments, massages and even range of motion exercises. Splints and custom made orthotic devices may need to be designed to help, which they can provide for you are well.
3. Strokes – Unfortunately, strokes can occur in older patients and can significantly impact their quality of life, particularly if a large part of the body is involved. Other than mobility, speech and sometimes vision can be affected. Physical therapists team up with doctors and occupational therapists to provide holistic care to improve mobility and independence.
4. Alzheimer’s disease – This is an unfortunate condition that is irreversible and gets progressively worse once it starts. The physical therapists of Absolute Physical Therapy and Fitness in Houston, TX can enable patients to remember past events by enacting them in movements that they can easily recall.
5. Osteoporosis – This is a condition seen with ageing characterised by thinning bones that become brittle and prone to fractures. Physical therapists can provide weight training exercises that increase bone density along with muscle strength.
6. Urinary incontinence – This is a rather embarrassing problem that accompanies ageing. Physical therapists can help by providing bladder training exercises that can help treat this problem.
Ageing brings with it a number of negative health problems. However, Absolute Physical Therapy and Fitness in Houston, TX can provide invaluable input and thus provide a number of positive effects by enhancing patient independence and mobility.