What is Astym?
Astym is an evidence-based rehabilitation process designed to effectively treat chronic tendon disorders, scar tissue and fibrosis. The goal of Astym treatment is to stimulate the body’s healing response, resulting in the resorption and remodeling of scar tissue and the regeneration of degenerative tendons. This effective therapy incorporates a customized program of stretching and exercise, which positively influences the alignment of the new collagen.
How can Astym treatment benefit me?
Astym optimizes your ability to regain function and return to normal, active lifestyles. The system offers many benefits:
- Resolves tough, chronic conditions, even where other treatments have failed
- Rapidly resolves pain and increases functional ability (in just 4- 5 weeks)
- Delivers long-term results
- Encourages patients to stay active in their work, sport or activity
- Offers positive and predictable results, supported by outcomes
- Evidence-based process that is supported by extensive research
Diagnoses that respond well to Astym treatment:
- Post-surgical scarring
- Post-traumatic scarring
- Lateral epicondylosis
- Medial epicondylosis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis
- Patellar tendinopathy
- IT band syndrome
- SI/low back pain
- Rotator cuff tendinopathy
- Plantar fasciopathy
- Chronic ankle sprains
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Shin splints
- Anterior knee pain
- Hamstring strains
- Hip pain/trochanteric bursitis
- Most chronic tendinopathies
How effective is Astym?
Clinical outcomes from across the country indicate that 88% of all patients treated with Astym achieve improved function and decreased pain; even if the condition is chronic and previous treatment has been unsuccessful.
What do you tell your patients?
Patients should be informed that they will be receiving a treatment that will help stimulate a healing response rather than just treat their symptoms. They may experience some soreness and/or mild bruising following treatments initially; however, this rapidly improves as the healing progresses. Patients are expected to carry out simple stretching exercises at home, and their compliance is essential for maximizing treatment results.
We have multiple trained and certified providers at Absolute Physical Therapy. Give us a call for more information or to schedule an appointment. Lets see how we can get you back to being you!